Saturday, November 6, 2010

Macabre definition-revised











This is the revised version of the word 'macabre.' I was originally trying to rework the old version into a more streamlined version of the same thing, with Edward Gorey as my influence. After several hours of experimenting with different versions of the Gorey-influenced definition, I realized that it was just not a style suited to the dictionary.

I decided to rethink the concept of 'macabre' in the context of a children's dictionary. I thought about the other definitions, and how they are more oriented towards children. I then thought about how I would define 'macabre' to a child. Children generally don't have a real concept of death. Usually, their first encounter with death is in the form of a pet. So if I were going to define macabre to a child, it would probably involve an example of the death of a pet.

No comments:

Post a Comment